Liminal test animation and materials breakdown

Test Animation || Hand Painted Cel || Digital Background || Comped in Toon Boom

Background
For the sake of the experiment I created a simple background in Clip studio paint. I am planning to draw the rest of the backgrounds for this project in clip studio paint and composite them digitally, instead of shooting cels on the printed/painted backgrounds traditionally. I think this will make adding any effects and camera movements a lot easier if need be. 
Scanned cels
This was the first time I had used Anko paint as I usually use Chromacryl, however I was running low on white so I opted to use the Anko white in the skin tone and eye whites. this caused the sharpie to slightly bleed and noticeably whiten. I will avoid using this paint in the future, or use a different painting technique where the lineart and paint are on different sides of the cel. To solve this for now  I drew over the faded lines in Toon Boom Harmony.


Photographed cels
For the test I decided to only do flat colours however I wish to add cel shading while I am painting the cels to better mimic the style of cel animations during their final era before the industry switched to digital production. For every shot/scene I will need to create a colour key to figure out what paint colours will be needed for the mid tone/shadow and highlight if applicable. 


Experiment Breakdown 

-New technique, Lineart on one side, paint on other, this will prevent line bleeding, paint mistakes can be cleaned easier without the fear of effecting lineart on cel 
-Chromacryl Paint: less prone to bleeding, however is thicker in texture and harder to place down smoothly. more pricey, $5 for 75ml tube 
-Anko paint: more prone to bleeding, more liquid in texture, easier to paint using pooling technique 
-Sharpie fine liner: sticks on the Perspex cel, doesn't bead like paint pens, thin nibs allow for finer details, ink requires 2 layers to make solid, needs tested on projector sheets 
-Projector sheets: needs experimentation still, can be printed on with laser printer, cheapest material I could find, as these sheets are thinner than both Perspex and glass I feel safe painting on one side and having lineart on the other as the parallax effect will not be noticeable. 
-Perspex: less prone to breaking compared to glass, thinner, paint and sharpie lies well on its surface, less marks/fingerprints compared to glass. 
-Glass: too fragile, too bulky and too expensive for animation 


Other Stuff 
-Paint containers 
-Paint breakdown Chart
-Paint Palettes/mixers 
-Laser Printer 
-Guillotine 
-Paint Brushes 
-Camera or scanner 


Comments