Equilibrium vs non Equilibrium

The feedback I recieved on my project proposal was mostly to focus on the narrative of my short animation loops that I aim to work on. While I want to apply visual techniques that Miyazaki uses throughout Howls Moving Castle, I also need to keep in mind the storytelling aspects of his movies. One way I can do this is looking more into the Equilibrium vs non Equilibriam of his settings. often the normal is contrast by something more mystical and out of place. by focusing on what the equilibiram or normality of a situation is, I can establish and demonstrate this to the viewer through visual techniques. this way when something that doesnt match the equilibrium of the established setting and rules of the world, the viewer will be able to pick up on this much faster. before moving forward I need to establish the status quo of the setting. as I am basing the visuals on the once real life location of the Kowloon Walled City in Hong Kong, I have somewhat of a visual start as to what will be considered normal. this can be demonstrated through some of the visual references I have compiled in my inital proposal 


many visual themes that are scattered throughout documentation of kowloon include patchwork buildings, cramped conditions, exposed pipework, wires, signs, AC Units, Small balconies, puddles, bits of discarded materials, regrowth of plants between the rubble,  dark areas lit with harsh lighting, a busy atmosphere, long winding paths, multiple levels of people and stores,
Kowloon walled city in Hong Kong was 119 times as dense as New York | The  Independent

An alley in Kowloon Walled City, 1989 : Cyberpunk

Comments